Riverside Tauranga Taupo Accommodation
Self-contained chalet-style accommodation in a wilderness environment, just a minute's walk from the Parade Pool on the world famous Tauranga Taupo River, near the southern end of Lake Taupo. Nothing else in the Taupo area compares when it comes to an isolated setting that is easy to access by vehicle (access for lodge guests only), and that offers delightful fly fishing to all, regardless of skill or fitness level. Other fishermen must walk for an hour to get to this part of the river, so they are few and far between.
Set amid native kowhai trees, the serenity at Kereru is broken only by the sounds of native birds: Kereru (New Zealand wood pigeon), tui, bellbirds and fantails. The lodge is set on several acres of grounds, and is bordered by the river on one side, and plantation forest elsewhere, giving you a real sense of isolation, yet only five minutes off the main North Island highway via a private road.
Kereru Lodge offers three, two-bedroom, self contained cabins/chalets. These chalets feature:
- Two have a double bed and a single bed in one room and two single beds in the second room, sleeping up to four/five
- One has a queen bed in one room and four singles in the form of two sets of bunk beds in the second room, sleeping up to five/six
- Linen is supplied on all beds, with blankets optional extras
- Toilet, shower and vanity with towels supplied
- Fully equipped kitchen, with refrigerator, small stove, pots and pans, microwave, cutlery and crockery, dining table and chairs
- Living area with sofa, television and heater opening onto deck/veranda
There is a communal covered BBQ area and a hot and cold smoker available for all to use.
Fly Fishing on the Tauranga Taupo River
The Tauranga Taupo river is recommended for both novices and experienced fishermen as wading is safe and casting is generally unimpeded by vegetation. Fish run from April to October. After December 1, good dry fly and nymph fishing can be obtained on mending fish. In addition, Kereru Lodge is located just 10 minutes from the world-famous Tongariro River, and many other rivers and streams are available within an hour's drive.
View some photos of the lodge in the photo gallery.